It is simply mind boggling the way we sense time. Feeling as if time is slowing down one day, and speeding up the next. I have one more month left here in NYC, at my amazing internship, with my family and friends, to explore to my hearts content. This is an opportunity for me to reflect on the amazing things that have happened the past 6 weeks that seem to have flown by.
Interning at La Moutique: working with Catalina and Juan, as well as Sarah, the other intern
- I have learned SO much AND have had SO much fun! I assisted Catalina at The Roots Picnic. I heard amazing artists share their talents, met some pretty kick ass people such as Emily Wells, Mark Kelly of the Roots, most of Janelle Monee’s AMAZING band, Rudimental, and more. I also witnessed Juan Miguel Marin make some incredible art (the backdrop)! AND, my name was in PRINT!
It’s the smallest thing, but is so thrilling! I am treasuring my access pass, forever! Check out the photos here!
- I have been practicing my skills with lighting. It is never a bad thing to have a refresher on simple lighting techniques. That is exactly what we did when Catalina and I gave Sarah a chance to experience and photograph with strobes while shooting tethered to a camera. Here are some great portraits of me that I am excited to use on my website’s About page– thanks, Sarah!
- I have been in the presence of some amazing leaders via photo shoots. I always love learning from others, and it was great for one particular event to have listen to some amazing women leaders.
- I was able to go to the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) and see some amazing work. Also, went through an interesting installation that was a metaphor of conceiving/pregnancy…
- I have been given opportunities to keep up with my Photoshop skills and retouching. I have learned as well as taught Catalina/Sarah some Lightroom Shortcuts (who doesn’t love shortcuts and an improved workflow?!)
- Learn some amazing music! If you haven’t heard of LEGS, well now you know. They are crazy sexy cool exciting dance invigorating music and you can pre-order their debut album by backing their Kickstarter!
Exploring NYC (and falling in love with it)
- I don’t think I’ve posted any photos yet of the amazing view we have on the rooftop at my job/internship.
© Mariah Texidor
- Staring at this most of the week makes me feel in awe with the skyscrapers and excitement NYC gives off.
- I’ve been in a car more frequently than I ever have been while in the city, but it has given me some great views from bridges. Also on my bus rides to and from NJ there are some stunning views of Manhattan.
- I’ve gotten to visit my favorite place of all, The High Line. Even more joyous for me, I got to take my love with me and that made me love the High Line even more.
- Ali and I discovered the Chelsea Market!! MY GOODNESS, the feeling of finding something new and exciting and being in absolute astonishment are all the things we felt as we went and explored the gems in the Chelsea Market– completely on accident. That is definitely a moment I take with me from this summer.
- Traveling running errands for my internship has gotten me on trains that I never took often, especially being bound in Queens now, the E, M, and F trains have been more familair to me lately.
- Experiencing a NY TedX talk, was an exciting event. I hope to be able to go to one more before I leave.
I’ve also got to spend some precious time with my sister, boyfriend, and my mom. I still definitely need to spend more time with my family and close friends. Some resources I am using to enjoy my summer in the city are the NYC Summer Guide and free outdoor movies calendar. I’m excited to see Gravity with my mom next Thursday at the Intrepid, Sea, Space & Air Museum!
I’m full force working on my website now. Here’s a sneak peak of it
I am reflecting and collecting inspiration about why I photograph. I seem to always be unsure if this is something I can do, make a living off my love and knowledge of various aspects of the photo world. But that is for a later post.
This feeling of having not enough time consumes me. I am ready to change that by making use of my time wisely, as well as reminding myself that while I am living for today, I can’t forget that there’s tomorrow.
More post coming soon! Thanks for reading so much!